One reader asks, “Should I turn my computer off at night? Would it save enough in the long run to justify? What about wearing out the switch?”
If you leave it on…
- Automatic updates will run when you’re not there
- Your backup can complete when files aren’t in use
- Virus scans are completed and don’t slow you down during normal use
- Your computer is ready to go when you are
If you turn it off…
- Save energy / expense
- Potentially safer (not connected to the Internet)
Switching a computer on and off every day versus leaving it on all the time is highly debatable, but I think most agree now days that with current technologies, it doesn’t make a difference either way anymore.
I use my computer a lot. I want it on when I’m ready to use it. I leave it on 24/7. For others that may only use their computer once a day or every other day, stand by or off may be a better option.